As a parent of four children of color, I feel I must comment on Barack Obama's historic victory yesterday. Forty years ago, George Wallace was a third party candidate who ran on a segregationist platform: "Segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever," he once said. And he actually won 5 states, receiving 46 electoral votes. Now, 40 years later, America has elected an African American as it's next president. Conservative and Liberal politics aside, I am amazed at how far our nation has progressed in my lifetime. And as a parent of four Ethiopian-born children, it is a joy to be able to concretely show them that in America, skin color doesn't disqualify you from anything -- even the highest office in the land. As John McCain said in his eloquent concession speech: "we have come a long way from the injustices that once stained our nations reputation and denied some Americans the full blessings of citizenship." God bless America as we seek to emerge from these challenging times and allow those struggling now to once again share in this nation's many rich blessings.
Taking a Break
New Year’s blessings to you in the name of our Lord, Jesus. I just wanted to write a quick note to let you know that I’ve decided to take a break from the weekly email/blog post work I’ve been doing for the past 22 months. These weekly greetings were an important tool during that time, and I enjoyed writing to all of you each week. We’ll see where the Spirit leads next. A reminder that we now publish a monthly newsletter again. Pastor Megan or I will write a note to you there. We will email that newsletter as well. And we publish timely news in our bulletin each week, too. You can find those online, too: https://www.wadenaimmanuel.org/bulletin Grace and peace, my friends. I’ve enjoyed this leg of the journey with you. May we be strengthened for the next leg, too.
Comments